Saturday 30 January 2016

Small adventures | The Ordinary Moments #5



"And then I realised, adventures are the best way to learn!" - Annon.

It is Saturday afternoon, 4:30pm, and we are already back into our PJ's. Days like today are when I do most of my thinking, mainly day dreaming but also reflecting and planning. We have just come back from a beautiful walk in one of our many local woods and we made it back just in time before the sun hid behind the trees completely. The light was perfect and I spent most of our walk saying to the kids "Ohh just LOOK at this beautiful light! LOOK!!" Obviously all they were interested in was sliding down the banks, finding streams and getting wellies stuck in 3ft deep muddy bogs. We didn't stick to the path much, we found trees to climb and ponds to throw sticks in and that is enough for them to warrant it a great afternoon. Now home, it dawns on me that no matter where we are, they make it into an adventure. 

One of the things we wanted to do this year was travel more, be it in the UK or abroad. All I want for the children is to have stories to tell and memories to look back on, anything in between is a bonus. But we don't necessarily need to go far or spend money for these adventures to happen. I think we have all, at some point, felt guilty for not going to that all singing all dancing theme park or taking a trip to the zoo. Its scary to think about how much money we have actually spent on these days out that quite frankly, are forgotten in a few weeks. I am totally guilty of thinking that if it costs a lot of money, its obviously going to be an incredible life changing experience. But actually, is it? Do we really need to always do the big days out when we have so much to explore for free? And for the record, I am totally not saying no to the big days out altogether, but I am most definitely saying YES to exploring the beautiful countryside that surrounds us.

So whether its a trip to a new woods, discovering a park we haven''t been to before or re discovering an old hot spot, lets think more like our children and make an adventure out of everything!

Char x







1 comment:

  1. Ah the most beautiful photos lovely- I know I say it every time but I just adore your photos. I think we have similar styles if that makes sense? And I do know what you mean about the trips. I often think we should be going out and doing really fun stuff at the weekend, when actually my girls honestly just prefer staying at home. And if you think about your own childhood, when I look back of course i remember the holidays we went on, but actually most of my biggest moments are just the everyday stuff and that's the honest truth. x

    ReplyDelete